IUPUI University Libraries Faculty Organization
Minutes of May 25 1999 Meeting – “DRAFT”
10:30-11:30 a.m., UL1116
Present: T. Daniels-Howell (president); S. Schlag (secretary); Stamatoplos, T.; Stanley, M.; Hehman, J.; Halverson, R.; Baldwin, J.; Burk, B.; Hoyt, D.; Yegerlehner, S.; Crumrin, R.; Jafari, M.; Fiander, M.; Harmon, J.
Meeting was informally called to order at 10:35 a.m. News flash: a quorum was present!
· J. Baldwin, representing the Primary Peer Review committee, presented a plan to implement “Faculty and Librarian Review and Enhancement at IUPUI” at the University Library Level. The plan contains three components:
· Overview of Tenure
· Identification of the Unit Peer Review, Promotion/Tenure Committee as the “appropriate elected body” to serve as the Enhancement and Review committee under the terms of the “Faculty and Librarian Review” policy.
· Definition of the terms “satisfactory” and “unsatisfactory”: satisfactory means the librarian is meeting or exceeding library and team expectations, and unsatisfactory means the librarian’s performance is unacceptable in that it fails to meet clearly stated and documented expectations and also demonstrates lack of effort with little evidence of attempting to improve the level of performance.
· ACTION: Jim Baldwin will revise the draft plan to account for concerns in three areas: 1) remove “demonstrates lack”; 2) adopt a bi-polar scale using “satisfactory” and “unsatisfactory” only (remove “superior”); and 3) incorporate verbiage from the IU Academic Handbook (p. 74) to define “dismissal” in consistency with University policy. He will send the revised draft to the ULFO distribution list by May 26, 1999.
· ACTION: ULFO membership must voice their approval (via email) of the revised draft by Tuesday, June 5. Please watch email for details.
· ACTION: By-laws Committee will have to change the working document (the “charge”) of the Primary Peer Review Committee to reflect their newly defined responsibility and submit the changes to the Faculty Council office.
· ACTION: The final plan as approved by ULFO must then be submitted to Bill Plater’s office by the end of June 30, 1999.
· Evaluation Task Force update, B. Burk. Noting that procedures are already in place for processing librarians’ annual reviews (feedback, sign-off, etc.), and that yet another form would not solve problems of inconsistency in following these procedures, a major recommendation to SMT by the task force will be that established procedures be more rigorously followed. Another recommendation will be that the annual November training workshop for new librarians (conducted by the Primary Peer Review Committee) be opened up to any untenured librarian. Doing so would ensure greater understanding of expectations among all librarians each year (for example, “Should upcoming goals be included on the annual review?” or, “Which section is most appropriate for documenting this particular activity?”, and so on).
· ELECTION RESULTS:
1999-2000 ULFO Chair, Michelle Fiander
1999-2000 ULFO Secretary, Randy Halverson
1999-2000 ULFO Primary Peer Review Committee: Vania Goodwin, chair; Jim Baldwin, chair-elect; Joe Harmon; and Randi Stocker. Bill Orme will serve as first alternate.
Meeting adjourned at 11:22 a.m.
Draft respectfully submitted: Susan Schlag, May 25, 1999.